Thursday, April 3, 2014

Eastway CX1.0 Review

To start, I call this bike "The Pikey." A co-worker says that all bikes need names and that I should give it an English name since it is from the UK. After going back and forth with some names and then asking a buddy who travels over there a couple times a year I decided on Pikey.

Pikey is defined as "A pejorative slang term used mainly in Britain to refer to people who are of the Traveller Community (Gypsy's)."  So it kind of fits and I like the way it sounds.

Also this:


I've been able to put 50 miles on it this week and so far I am impressed.

I wasn't able to get it out right away because of all the snow and water everywhere and the last thing I wanted was to gunk up the drive train or take a spill on a brand new bike.

The first thing  I noticed while riding it was how light it felt underneath me. I've been riding the Straggler so far this spring so this comes as no surprise. It also accelerates much faster.

The handlebars feel a bit twitchy with the 90mm stem that I put on it so I may swap out to a 100mm. In years past I have not had a lot of flexibility, but taking time at the gym has improved that and now I find myself naturally leaning forward more and am having to have my arms bent to hold me up, rather than a more straight (but relaxed) position. The bike came with a 110mm so I may try that out to see it I like it or if it is too long before I sell/buy a new one.

Might drop the stem a tad


Having some time with the double taps I am getting more comfortable. I like the ease of up shifting, but I still need to get the hang of down shifting while climbing. It can be hard to be standing to climb, and then try to shift down at the same time. I also run into an issue with the front derailleur occasionally. There  is something with the tapping that can throw it off so you can think that you are going to shift to the small front ring, but the derailleur doesn't move. Then you do the same thing and it shifts down. My first thought is user error. My second is that it is a triple ring shifter set up on a double so if it is clicked twice it thinks that it is in an even bigger ring. But probably user error.

My only real complaint so far is climbing. It just doesn't seem to handle well when out of the saddle. Once again I firstly point to my own fitness vs expectations and just not having a lot of time on the bike. Time will tell.

The BB7s have been superb. They stop quickly and even more important, they are quite. Silent. Nothing.

I am hoping to get in a few more rides on it before the Ragnarok, but with the impending weather who knows.

A couple bike related thoughts:

I saw a post about this gravel/dirt race in Florida. Now I wasn't at the start of gravel racing, but have been doing it for 4 years now and have seen a big change in peoples bikes/dress/prep here in MN. This picture from Florida reminds me of when I first started off in 2010.

Some of the 84 strong riders that took part in the event. (Image by S.Jose)
2 guys had to hop a python,
one says he thinks his rear wheel got him.


This #30daysofbiking thing is going on for April and I am going to try and give it a real go, even if that means that some days I am just going to have to do a quick crit lap or a neighborhood tour. Either way, should be fun.

And finally, I got into the Chequamegon Fat Tire 40. It was the first time I entered the lottery. I was surprised because I NEVER win any game of chance of any type. The two times I got into Leadville I had to use LifeTime connections. That may be why I got in this year as well  since I am already signed up for the Lutsen 99er. Whatever, I'll take it. I just hope that I can get a good gate assignment. I just don't want to feel like I am being held up by a mass of slower riders. Right now I am hoping for a 2h25m time or better. That would put me in the top 20 for my age group in last years race. Looking at a few names I recognized, I don't think it's a long shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment