Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2014 LML

Took a before shot, but the course was so clean
there was no need for an after shot.


The L-M-L (Lakeville - Milltown Cycles - Lakeville) race was this past weekend. I was a little nervous heading into it for many reasons. Weather being the #1 concern. I was also nervous since I'd only ridden 88 miles in 2014 up to race day. No trainers, no rollers, no spin class. All I have been doing is going to the gym about 4-5 days a week. So I had no idea on my level of bike fitness. 3rd was riding a new bike. Since my ultra trusty San Jose is out of commission indefinitely, I was riding the SS Straggler that I built up over the winter. Not having much time on it I didn't know what to expect.

The race started out fairly slowly and I was about 20 seconds off the lead group for the first 8 miles, then we hit a hill and I think the top guys decided to stop messing around and took off.

I continued to just ride my pace and slowly passed people here and there. Around mile 20 my hands were getting too sweaty and when I would stand to climb I felt like I didn't have a good grip on the handlebars so I stopped and took them off and switched over to the thin gloves.

From there I slowly caught people all the way in to Fairbault. However, my calves were feeling it and I had cramping in my right hamstring.

At Milltown Cycles I grabbed a couple donut holes and took a leak. I then grabbed the second set of directions and a piece of bacon and headed off.

There is a fair amount of climbing once back on the course and my legs were not quite ready for it yet. I slowly slogged up a few of the longer climbs and had to walk the hill to no where and a couple others. The 44x16 gearing was great for the flats, but no so much for the late climbs.

The rest of the time was me fighting off cramps and "powering through" to the finish.

I made a couple of first race of the year mistakes, I'll name a few... I didn't squeeze the air out of the water bladder when I filled it up so there was a lot of air in the hose. I didn't tighten the water bottle mount down tight enough and it rattled loose. I used too big of a water bottle so it was hard to get out from under the frame bag. My seat was a scant too high and  I got some back of the knee pain. There were probably a couple other things that I messed up as well.

It was a great race and I am happy with my time. Thanks to Larry and all the volunteers for putting on a superb event to start the year.

Note the spur to the east between Fairbault and Northfield. 

I don't like how the moving time is highlighted and the actual time
 is stuck at the bottom. Should be the opposite












No comments:

Post a Comment