Monday, April 14, 2014

2014 Ragnarok 105

Let me start out by saying thanks to the Ragnarok crew for all that they do to prepare the course and the hours that they put in making sure everything goes off right. Also thanks to the Angry Catfish, Twin Six, and HED for sponsoring the race.

This was my 4th time riding the Ragnarok, and by far the hardest conditions. It was raining on the way to the race, it was raining at the start, and it rained till after the first checkpoint

The race started off at the normal slowish pace, but quickly escalated once we hit the first hill. Unlike the LML where I was near the lead pack for a good 8 miles, I was dropped after about 2. From there on out it was a solo ride.

I was wearing bib shorts with some rain pants and 2 base layer shirts, a cycling jersey, and a rain jacket. On my hands I just used my PI spring/fall running gloves. I was never cold, but I was almost always uncomfortable. My hands would go a bit numb and I would do the windmill move and they would come back. My feet went numb and I couldn't really feel them for a bit. They didn't hurt though. I thought maybe my feet swelled up (never happened before) and the shoes got too tight and cut off my circulation, but that was not the case.

I rode pretty well into checkpoint #1 and saw a lot of people people just hanging out. I took a couple sports legs and headed down the road. As I went past the BP I saw even more bikes out front. Weird. 

The course stays flat for a bit so I took that time to recover and eat some food which proved a little difficult to do in the rain. 

After a while I started fantasizing about all that the Lake City Kwik Trip would have to offer. At first I was thinking about some beef jerky and a powerade zero. Then it became beef jerky, powerade, and a red bull. As I was riding the pavement into LC I decided that I'd like a banana as well. I guess my mind was hungrier than my body because I only ate 3/4 of the banana, half the powerade (put the rest in my empty bottle) and put the red bull in frame bag. I attempted to eat the jerky, but I couldn't get it open. I then rolled into checkpoint #2 where Lisa kindly opened it for me. I took off right away and enjoined the flat 4-5 before the climbing started again.

Heath's Hill was extremely muddy. Props to anyone that cleaned it. I'm not sure if I could have ridden it on my MTB if it were 5 miles in.

Going up the long grind that is 335th I had my first "I feel like shit" moment. I got really warm and at one point almost puked, but I just kept going. What I think happened was that the temperatures were rising and there was no wind, so my outfit which kept me stable for so long, was now causing me to over heat. I zipped down the jacket and jersey and got some relief. 

I rode well till the last climb on Lehrbach when the heat hit me again. This time I was forced to walk, ride, walk, ride. Not an ideal way to finish the last climb, but it is what it is. 

I finished in 8 hours 26 minutes. 21 minutes slower than my personal best. Weather was a definite factor, but what can you do?

I felt good at the finish though. Exhausted but not out of it. I took all my wet gear off and sat in the car for about 15 minutes in just my bib shorts with the hot air blowing on me. 

Overall I was very happy with how the day turned out. Hopefully I'll be back next year.




1 comment:

  1. Nice write up! See you at Almanzo, Lutsen and BC group rides! Matt.

    ReplyDelete