Monday, March 5, 2012

Fixing

On Saturday afternoon Curt and I went out for a 25 mile ride. We tried to hit as many hills as we could in a short period of time. Our plan was to sprint up the hills and then casually pedal to the next hill. I found a hill that, so far, takes me 4m33s from bottom to top, that may be the longest hill in MN. We got in 1,035 feet of climbing, so that's not too bad for this time of year. I am hoping to get out for a long ride this Thursday by myself and then another long ride on Sunday.

My plan to combat boredom on these 4-6 hour rides is to get as far away from the house as possible. Once far, I have no choice but to ride back, there are no shortcuts to use. I'll still be bored, but I'll get in the workout.

I have been trying to do my own bike repairs as of late and it is working out pretty well. There are some lessons learned along the way, but once you get to know your bikes and have the right tools around it goes pretty quickly. If I get good, this will save me a lot of money in the long run.

The Pugsley was running really crappy last week. The chain was all rusty from riding through too much slop and being put up wet and the rear derailleur wheels were giving some resistance to spinning. I took off the rear wheel and the cassette and cleaned them both up well and put it all back together. Then I took the chain off the "race" bike and put it on. After I lubed everything back up it was running like new again. I also switched out the aluminum seat post that was way too long for a carbon one I had sitting around.

Then I switched out the brakes on the GF's bike. She had BB7's on there and I want them for a future project, so she got the old Juicy Three's that I took off a different bike in the fall.

I ordered a new chain for the race bike today, but noticed that the cranks are not spinning too well. I am going to have to take the BB apart and try and figure out what is causing the friction.

Lastly, to trim a little more weight off the gravel bike I took the bashguard off that came with it and am now waiting for some SS specific bolts to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment