Monday, March 12, 2012

Finally the 1st real day of spring

Saturday I managed to get out of the house and enjoy some great weather. I was a little difficult to figure out what I was going to wear with the higher temps. I finally decided on just wearing shorts, a long sleeve thermal shirt and a jersey. I also used my new Sidi shoes that I got for Christmas. This turned out to be a good decision. There were a few times that I was a little warm, but with the strong winds blowing across the fields there were times where I was a little cold as well.



Curt and I headed out to the LifeTime Hillfest short course from Cottage Grove. There wasn't as many hills as I was expecting, but there was plenty of climbing and we kept a pretty good pace throughout.
Here's a picture of Curt at about the 30 mile mark eating a carboom! and asking me for advice.



Then I told Curt to take a picture of me.



Nice camera work Curt!

Shortly after this stop was the highlight of the day that I wish I would have got a picture of. (I thought about just leaving it at that sentence, but I'll continue.) We came up on a bald eagle ripping away at a dead deer carcass. We probably got within 20 feet of it before it noticed us and flew off into a nearby tree. It is amazing how big that bird is.

I've been riding the San Jose Pro for the past few rides and have changed the gearing each time. I started at 42x16, then went to 42x18, and now I think I am going to go with 42x20 and stick with it. The other gearings are good for 50 miles of mostly paved roads, but I'm about to get in a lot more gravel and more distance so I think the 42x20 will be ideal for that. I just have to keep telling myself to not try and keep up with people in the flats or on downhills and that I will catch them on the climbs and get ahead.

Now a tale in stupidity.
I had to bring the SUV in for some repairs so I was driving the truck today. I had to drop Baxter off at the Vet to get his nuts chopped off and then stopped at the grocery store for some milk. While getting the kids back in the truck I set the milk (1%) on the bed cover. Well, I forgot that I put it there and hopped in the truck and drove off. I didn't realize that I had forgotten it until I arrived at my next destination, got out of the truck, went inside, came out and saw a gallon of milk (1%) laying in the parking lot next to the truck. I put 2 and 2 together pretty quickly and picked it up. The container was a little dirty, but in alright shape. So I did what any rational person would do and brought it home and poured it into the almost empty container milk container. I hope no one gets sick. hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment