Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mammoth Looming

I heard local weatherman Dave Dahl on the radio and he said "If you haven't had enough, there's still more of this same bullshit to follow."



Next 5 Days
  • Today

    Apr 16

    Chilly with sun and clouds48°Lo 33°
  • Wed

    Apr 17

    Afternoon rain38°Lo 34°
    more
  • Thu

    Apr 18

    A bit of snow and rain44°Lo 31°
    more
  • Fri

    Apr 19

    Rather cloudy and chilly41°Lo 27°
    more
  • Sat

    Apr 20

    Sun followed by some clouds46°Lo 37°
    mo


If there is any positive to all this, It looks like things might be alright for the Mammoth Classic (I know I missed the Gravel part, but I think they did too)

Now that I've had the GPS for over a year I can look back at what I did in years past. I completed the Mammoth last year in 4h14m. Not too shabby, but far from the best.


So, I've dragged myself, against my will out of the house for 3 possibly 4 rides in the past two weeks and they haven't gone half bad. I always start out feeling like shit around mile 5 and then remember that no matter how much I ride I always bad from mile 5-10. The numbers don't lie though. I've only lost about .5mph average from where I was last year. These are shorter rides though, so we'll see if I suffer in the long run.
By last years Dirt Bag I felt like I could go 75-80 miles before starting to feel real fatigue/pain. I'm guessing that I will dip into that zone around mile 50-55 at the Mammoth.

I have a quick route that gets in a fair amount of climbing without having to repeat sections or back track. It ends up being about 1,400ft in 19 miles. I am going to try and switch it up and hit some of the West St. Paul hills if I can get one more ride in this week.


I knew I was on to something special

Some good news on the home front. We got a nanny for the kids this summer. What does this mean? 1. Believe it or not, there will be more money in my pocket. Daycare is expensive, and there are not enough, so  that drives the weekly rates are sky high.
2. This also means that I should be able to ride my bike to work most days. This is going to be really nice. I have a few different routes in mind to keep things fresh.


When I was searching through pictures on my phone I came across this one, and since the last "guess what this is" contest went so well (0 guesses) I thought I'd throw this one up. Without further ado:

Where is this from?
I collected this myself.

3 comments: