Friday, May 24, 2013

2013 Almanzo 100 UPDATE

My first post was deleted when I tried adding in pictures to make the blog less lame than normal. I was going to just let it slide, but I decided that this is more than worthy to take the time to write again and remember the day that was.

I was pretty excited about this years event. I did a gravel race in March, didn't get into the Ragnarok for the first time, and then rode the Dickie Scramble. Combine that with not a lot of training rides and I was more excited than usual.

The week prior to the race I headed over to Calhoun Cycle to pick up my packet early. There was quite a few people there picking up their packets and there was a BBQ to boot. I was about to go for a run otherwise I would have hung out for a while and ate some food.


The week of went quickly. I rode my bike to work a couple times and that was about it. I am starting to understand the importance of rest and cross training. I am feeling better and more refreshed when riding. Part of me enjoys this, part of me doesn't.

The night before the race I got everything ready. Switched the bike over to 42x18 gearing, repacked the frame bag, charged the Garmin, and got all my clothes packed up. I even found some time to throw some beer in a cooler.

The 5:30am alarm came quickly and I was on the road to pick up Jose at 5:45. We made it to Spring Valley around 8:05 and found a great parking spot near the finish. The last thing I wanted to do when I was finished was ride a mile back to my car.

I started getting ready and talking to a few people around me. At about 8:45 I headed to the starting area where Chris was already on the microphone. I started moving through the people and working my way towards the front. About 1/3 of the way up I stopped. I remembered Tom Gehering's story about starting dead last at the Cheq 40 and how cool it was to pass a bunch of people throughout the race. 
We sang the traditional happy birthday to Chris' son Jack and we were soon on our way. 



Everyone started out slow going through town and once we hit gravel and I looked up ahead I knew that the race was on and that I better start moving. My goal at that point was to be out of a bigger size pack by the time we hit the first down hill. I was moving up and passing a lot of people. I kept looking for people that I knew and making sure to say hi as I rode on by. When we hit Nature road hill I knew it was time to burn a match and hustle up the hill. I wanted to continue to spread things out and it get a good burn in my legs. The next 30 or so miles went by nicely and I was at the edge of Preston in just over 2 hours. 

I kept wondering where this water crossing was and I was going to find out soon. 2 miles down the road and my mouth full of honey stinger waffle I saw road closed signs and knew the crossing was near. I heard a lot of people talking about just walking through with there shoes on. Not this guy. I don't want to pedal with wet feet, nor risk getting blisters with 60 miles to go. I saw a Man vs. Wild episode one time and Bear said that having wet feet is the worst thing that can happen. So I took, I don't know, 15 seconds? to take off my soccks and shoes and forded across. As soon as I got to the other side I stood on some rocks off to the side so that I wouldn't get mud on my feet and put my shoes and socks back on. It took MAYBE 1:30 total. I hopped back on my bike and kept on keeping on.

I felt good and rolled into the Forrestville checkpoint in just over 4 hours. I got refilled some water and hit the road. I knew that it would be pavement for a bit some I just pedaled slow to relax a bit and eat some food. Once we hit the bigger hills I was feeling a little spent and starting to enter the mental pain cave. I made it through that section and told myself that I would take a brief break at the Cherry Grove city hall. When I got there I was surprised to see the Twin Six tent providing beers and booze. It was about the last thing my body wanted, but my brain was telling me yes. The New Belgium selection was nice, but not at that moment in time. I sat in a chair for about 5 minutes and then decided to get my ass up and continue on. I still wasn't feeling great but pressed on because what else am I going to do? Right before the second crossing I ran into Chris standing in the road. He told me that he was closing the second water crossing because it was becoming too dangerous. I must have been one of the first people he told because I could see people headed down the road towards the stream as he was telling me all this.

I don't know what happened in that minute break, but I all of a sudden felt re-energized. My pace picked up about 3 mph and I was feeling good. I was going up the rollers strong and managing to pass a few people. I knew that Oriole hill was coming up soon and was mentally prepared for it. On the SS at that point there is no sense burning yourself out. I pedaled until it became too much of a grind and then got off and started walking and drinking a Red Bull I had stashed in my back pocket. At the top I  knew that there was still 10 miles to go and that it wasn't going to be easy. I was soon climbing the last major climb of the day. I have never walked this hill, and I wasn't going to start. I was moving well and passed a couple of people walking. As I neared the top my muscles were starting to scream and I was facing the steepest part. I looked up and say Scott and his wife standing there and knew that there was no option to walk (peer pressure is a MFer) I just put my head down and beared with the pain until I reached the top.

Once at the top it was just a race to be done and relaxing. I passed a few more people and was on the pavement before I knew it. I kept looking for the tape for the tape to enter the water plant and get to the finish line. It couldn't come soon enough. The section was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be but once I saw the finish I was relieved. 

7 hours, 10 minutes.

I was shooting for under 7, so that will have to wait another year. I am happy with the way I rode and had a great time as usual. I laid on the sidewalk for about 20 minutes after the finish to catch my breath and re-hydrate. It is amazing how much more tired you can feel once you get off the bike.

My hat goes off to Chris and all of the volunteers. There are many other events around the country that have many more resources than they do, and yet they pull everything off in a way that makes it look effortless. It is amazing what someone can accomplish when they put everything they have into it. There is no doubt that is how the Almanzo has been  run since day one and it is why it is the best race in the country. 





1 comment: