Monday, October 22, 2012

Favorite Races


The other day while out riding I had the idea that I should post up my favorite races. I am not really one that gets into the "atmosphere" of a race, because I'm not really there to be social, but to try my best at racing my bike. I don't take racing serious, at all, so the perspective that I provide is just that of a dude who likes to stay in shape and needs some races along the way to keep motivation up. I think that I'll just do a Top 5 because 1. I haven't been in that many different races, and 2. I don't really feel like writing that much. I'll probably spread these out over the course of the first half of the winter as my riding will be much less and I'm pretty sure none of the three people who read this blog care about how my Mite hockey team is doing week after week.

So, without further ado...my 2012 edition of my Top 5 races.

#5

Any race at Hillside in Elk River, MN.












These are always great races to attend and when I do miss them (As been the case for most of them this year) I actually feel bad about it. I find myself thinking "What could I have done differently so that I could have made it." Most of the time there is a very logical reason why I was unable to go, but the thoughts still pop into my head.


The races is always well organized and there are a lot of fast people who show up. At only $10 per event it is also a great value. All of the state races are $25-$30 depending on when you register and I don't think there is half the amount of give-a-ways.
I also like that everyone races at the same time. Have a slow friend who races the recreational class? No worries, they start just after you and will finish before you. At the state races each class is on the course by themselves and if you race the Comp class while your buddy races the Sport class, you have to get to the race about 2 1/2 hours before you even toe the line.

I also enjoy hanging out and drinking beers afterwards.

Finally is the race director, promoter, organizer, trail steward...Rich Omdahl. He does a great job of making sure that the trail is in good shape and ensuring that everyone has a good time. It seems that he comes up with something slightly different for each race to keep it fresh.

Hopefully I can make it out to more races in 2013, starting with the Cold Bear Challenge and Fat Bike Fest.

Check back later for #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment