Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Windy City Heat

I had a pretty good week riding. I got back on the dirt Wednesday and rode a little bit of BC, over to Carver, and then back through BC again. I like this route. I get in about 20-25 miles and throw in a few extra hills on the way over to Carver.

I didn't ride again until Sunday. I really wanted to do the Chippewa Valley Century, but it was just not in the cards for me. I managed to get in a decent 40 mile ride in the wind and heat. This was also the first time that I rode my road bike in about a year. I really don't like that thing. Long term I hope to get a more gravel friendly frame and fork and just move the components over.

Today I went out for a 59 mile ride with the plan of winning some KOMs on Strava. There were a few segments where I was close to the top and knew that if I were to ever take the road bike out I would have a very good chance and getting the top spot. The first section of Upper Afton was going great and then I looked up and saw Eddie stopped, yelling at me from his truck so I stopped to chat with him real quick. The second Upper Afton hill was going pretty good as well until I got a phone call that I had to take, so there went that segment. Finally I got to the third Upper Afton segment and put the hammer down. I thought I was going to have to downshift at some point but it never happened. I ended up taking that KOM by four seconds (EDIT: I just got an email that I lost it by a second). That was the only one that I would get though. I had some decent times but the wind today was just brutal. Riding in Afton was windy as shit and I don't think I've ever had a harder time riding 12 miles.

I'm not completely sold on the gears thing. It's great for flats, no doubt, but I think I am a better climber on the SS. The gears allow you to slack off, the SS has no mercy. I'm sure I'll continue to mix it up a bit.

I have to get in a little more MTB with the Cheq 100 coming up in 4 weeks. I need to get to Leb to work on the technical skills a bit so I can keep a good time through Rock Lake. After that there is not too much technical stuff. Like I've said before, I can't decide which race I like more, the Ragnarok or the Cheq 100 but both are always an awesome time. I might have to go with the Cheq this year because it ends at the River's Eatery in Cable and they have great pizza and beer. I especially like this place since we showed up after close last year and the guy fired up the oven and made us a great post ride meal. This year I'll get there much sooner and I'm not driving back to the cabin. Troy and I will leave that up to one of the 62 milers.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping to better my cheq time from last year as well. Pizza and beer at the end is definitely well earned! Should be fun, ending in Cable.

    ReplyDelete