Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Dirt Bag

I woke up a little later than I wanted to so I felt a little pressed for time trying to get out of the house. While quickly getting ready I realized that with the 34-40 degree weather for the day I should wear my Lake winter riding boots. I don't know why I didn't think of using them sooner, but I am glad that I did as my feet stay fairly warm all day.
(Quick aside: I got the Lakes last year on Ebay for $115. They look brand new. Deal of the century)

Getting to the start a little later than I usualy do was nice. I didn't have to stand around much and things got started shortly after I was ready to go.

The first few miles were a slow pace and I stayed with the lead group (as did most others) for the first 7 miles. We got to a sandy section that I knew was coming, but still surprised me a bit. I rode though it fairly easily and tried to catch up to the lead group but it was not happening. I found myself alone between the lead group and a decent size chase group. I was about 30 seconds off the lead so I decided to not wait for the chase group. Around mile 15 I could no longer see the lead group and shortly after that the chase group caught and passed me. I didn't like that. I waited till the next hill and dropped them all. I would never see that group again.

I rode with another SS for about 15 miles and we "battled" back and forth, never working together. The checkpoint came and I was feeling good so I went right through it. I finally pulled away around mile 60 and would ride by myself for the remainder.

I started to get a little fatigued around mile 80 and was having a hard time eating because my waffles and bars were cold and hard. I kept going as hard as I could so that I wouldn't get passed by someone near the end. I noticed that the last 10 miles or so was the same route as we had rode out on. I was starting to dread the sand that was up ahead. Once I got there I tried my best to stay on the bike but the last section had been torn up so much when we headed out and again by everyone in front of me that I didn't have the power left in my legs to negotiate it. I hopped off and jogged for about 50 yards and hopped back on the bike. Once I hit the pavement I went as hard as I could and made the final climb fairly quickly.

I was happy to have finished and had a great time. My unofficial time is 6h27m. (No results posted yet). That beats my previous best from the Heck of 7h25m. This course was fairly flat as the GPS only registered about 1,700 ft of climbing. 48x18 proved to be the perfect gear for me and I felt that I gave it my all.

Thanks to all the volunteers who did a great job and for the chili afterwards. This was my first time at the Dirt Bag and I look forward to racing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment